Monday, April 18, 2011

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt"

To end my blog, I'd like to share this quote with you all.

This is one of my favourite quotes in the entire book. It is arguably the most significant one as well. From how I see it, Vonnegut is wishfully portraying a perfect world, where pain and ugliness cease to exist. However, he may be implying that in our world, laden with war, pain, famine, and disease, there is a sliver of hope that happiness and order will ensue. I, too, like Vonnegut, like to imagine how beautiful life could be, without all the hardships that the world presently faces.

In reality, a perfect society will never exist. It is inevitable, just like how war and violence was described in SH5. According to Vonnegut's friend at the beginning of the novel, to have a world living in peace and harmony " is as likely as moving a glacier."

No comments:

Post a Comment